Thursday, November 25, 2010

Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie

Oh lord, this sweet potato pie is fantastic. It's an absolute winner! It's sweet, quintessential southern cooking that just screams "Thanksgiving" and "The Holidays." One piece of pie is like tasting a little slice of heaven. Should I go on?
I used three sweet potatoes, which I picked up at farmers market yesterday afternoon- the day before Thanksgiving. In order to cook 2 cups of sweet potatoes, I peeled them and cut them into rounds and then quartered each round. I put a very small pat of butter in a sauce pan and then added the sweet potatoes. I added 1/2 cup of water to the pot and then covered it. I repeated this step as necessary, basically each time the water evaporated or was absorbed. The steam and water cooked them perfectly...within about 15 minutes they were ready for mashing. For other suggestions on how to cook sweet potato- click here
Once the pie was half way done baking in the oven, I started working on the meringue. It was a cinch to whip up. I topped the pie with little peaks of meringue and put it back in the oven for 10 minutes.   
When I took the pie out of the oven the whole house smelled sweet and wonderful. It's one gorgeous looking pie, if I do say so myself! I served it for dessert and while there were only three of us, there was almost nothing left in the pie pan by the time we were done.  
Enjoy and happy holidays!

Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie (Courtesy of Paula Deen)
  • 2 cups peeled, cooked sweet potatoes
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1/2 stick melted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 to 2 tablespoons bourbon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 cup milk
  • 9-inch unbaked pie crust
  • 3 egg whites

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the filling, using an electric hand mixer, combine the potatoes, 1 cup of the sugar, the butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, and spices. Mix thoroughly. Add the milk and continue to mix. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean - the original recipe says it takes 35-45 minutes, but my not-so-great oven took about 1 1/4 hours). Place the pie on a rack and cool to room temperature before covering with meringue.

For the meringue, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form; beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is glossy and stiff, but not dry. With a rubber spatula, spoon the meringue onto the pie, forming peaks. Make sure the meringue touches the crust all around. Sprinkle with a pinch of granulated sugar. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until delicately browned. Cool and serve.


Follow Me on Pinterest

7 comments:

  1. Bahts, thanks for having me over for the most amazing pre-thanksgiving feast. That pie was terrific. Can I get leftovers?
    -Jill S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bats, this was amazing and delicious. After you left, Hashim and I went heads up over the last piece! I was so scared I ruined it when I popped it under the broiler to perk up the meringue, but the almost burnt, caramelized and toasted marshmallow effect wasn't bad, was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yans, can't believe that was 2 years ago already! Think of you EVERY time I make this :) xo

      Delete
  3. This was amazing. I'm glad you posted it because the photos convinced me that I had to make it. We ate the 'tester' cake in about 2 seconds. I'm putting up the other one right now and I think it's going to be the best part of the meal. Paula does know her sweet potato pie. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best sweet potato pie that I have ever made, my husband loves it. Never any leftover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Our house smells great, the pie looks scrumptious and we can't wait to dive in. I'm not sure if it will make it till 5 pm :) Happy holidays and wishing you and your family the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn. You are so welcome. That pie is dee-lish! Hope you had a wonderful time with your family.

      Delete