Friday, May 6, 2011

Chili Chocolate-Covered Strawberries

The other day while working out on the elliptical, I caught an episode of "5 Ingredient Fix."  This show, with it's 5:30 time slot, follows the Barefoot Contessa and seems to have replaced "Cooking with the Neely's"-- a welcome change for me because there is only so much steak I can see someone cook on the grill.  
Anyway, this is so unbelievably simple to make and it only uses 5 ingredients!  I used bittersweet chocolate because the strawberries have so much sweetness on their own.  I saw the berries in the market (a little early in the season), and they looked so good I just had to buy them.  They were perfect--- incredibly sweet and juicy.  I make a point of only buying organic strawberries because the fruits are porous and I don't want to add a 6th ingredient (read: unwanted pesticides and chemicals).  The key, though, is to buy the highest quality ingredients since there are so few in this recipe.  The ancho chili powder adds an interesting note.  I'm going to make these again and again...next time I may try dusting these with a little bit of coarse sea salt.  Hmmmm.
These are the perfect little sweets to make for the mother in your life...or for celebrating yourself!  
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
CHILI CHOCOLATE-COVERED STRAWBERRIES (Courtesy of Claire Robinson)
Ingredients 
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter
1/8 teaspoon ground pure chili powder, such as ancho
10 large strawberries with long stems

[Note:  I halved the recipe and used 8 medium sized strawberries.  I had left over chocolate dip.  I'm sure it will go well with Swedish pancakes which I am making next week.]
Directions
In a heat-proof mixing bowl, add the chocolate, cream, and butter. Place over a smaller pot of simmering water. Be sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in the chili powder and mix until fully incorporated.
Hold each strawberry by the long stem (or the green top) and dip into the chocolate allowing the excess to drizzle back into the pan. Place chocolate covered strawberries on a parchment or waxed paper lined sheet tray. Once chocolate is cool, chill until fully set, about 30 minutes.



Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Nothing better than chocolate and strawberries

    My sisters and I have a linky party every Sunday called Everyday Sisters Sharing Sundays. We pick a theme each week and this week's theme is Chocolate. We would like to invite you to come by and link up your favorite chocolate recipes. The link is opened all week (until Sat) so please come by and say hi.

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com/2011/07/everyday-sisters-sharing-sundays-3.html

    Ellen

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete