Monday, September 26, 2011

Moosewood's Spanakopita



Spanakopita: spinach, cheese, and filo dough flakiness. I love it. It's the kind of thing I could eat for lunch and dinner- on the very same day. If I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life, spinach pie would be in the running. I think you get the picture. I'm pretty serious about this dish.
I've made spanakopita (Greek spinach pie) many times before (and I usually serve it with a homemade tzatziki sauce). I thought my go-to recipe was pretty good, but then I tasted this Moosewood recipe and thought it was perfect.
I first tasted the Moosewood version at a going-away party some friends threw for us right before we left Brooklyn. The party was held in a penthouse apartment overlooking Grand Army Plaza and Prospect Park. The views were spectacular and you could see the city skyline and the New York Harbor from the roof deck. There were lots of friends sharing stories and yes, I shed a few tears that night. It was a wonderful way to spend the evening- and it was bittersweet to be leaving such great people, but also really exciting to be relocating and trying something new in Denver, Colorado.
The food was incredible at that little gathering. There was pasta, cheese, salads and this spinach pie. Our friend Kathryn also made an amazing devil's food cake soaked with salted caramel, layered with whipped chocolate ganache and frosted with a classic French buttercream (holy delicious!). But I'm not really a baker so I knew there was no way I was going to be able to make the aforementioned cake.  I was confident, however, that I could make the spinach pie, so I asked Beth for the recipe and she passed it on. 

I decided to make this spanakopita for my son's second birthday party. I thought long and hard about the menu for our little soireé and decided on the following: 
Chips and dips (including an artichoke yogurt dip and a mild salsa)
Traditional Baked Ziti
Fresh Corn Salad (I got the corn from the Highlands farmers market) and
Spanakopita.   

This pie is not hard to make, but chopping 2 1/2 pounds of spinach does take some time. One of our friends asked me, "Did you use frozen spinach?" "No." I said, thinking of the mounds of spinach I had chopped the day before. 


But then I made this pie again- like I said, I'm addicted. I used some leftover fresh spinach and several boxes of frozen organic spinach (which happened to be on sale). The verdict? Both ways were equally delicious, I have to admit. So do as you wish. I don't want to offend any purists out there, but frozen spinach is perfectly fine for this recipe and cuts down on all that chopping. Though I tend to favor fresh produce (which helps support my local farmers market too), for this recipe you can really go either way. If you just don't feel like hacking up tons of greens, fret not! 

You can buy good quality frozen filo dough (phyllo dough) at most supermarkets in the frozen section near the pastry shells- just don't forget to take it out of the freezer when you start prepping. It must be completely thawed otherwise it will break and flake and, well, just become a mess. You want the sheets to be malleable and in-tact.  
You can make this a day or two in advance. Keep it uncooked, covered and refrigerated until you want to serve it. Then put it in the oven, uncovered, and cook for 45 minutes.

Enjoy this recipe. And trust me, this spanakopita is worthy of the (Greek) Gods...
Spanakopita (Courtesy of The Moosewood Cookbook, adapted ever-so-slightly)
Yields: About 8 servings
Filling:
2 Tbs olive oil 
2 cups minced onion
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
2.5 lbs fresh spinach, stemmed and finely chopped (or 2.5 lbs frozen organic spinach)
5 medium cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbs flour
2 to 3 cups (packed) crumbled feta cheese (about 1 lb)
1 1/4 cup cottage or pot cheese
Black pepper, to taste
1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil, for the filo
1 lb filo pastry leaves (approx 20 leaves) -- thoroughly defrosted 
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 F. Oil a 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a dutch oven. Add onion, salt, and herbs, and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onion softens. Add spinach, turn up the heat, and cook, stirring, until the spinach wilts (5 to 8 minutes). Stir in the garlic.
Sprinkle in the flour, stir, and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
Mix in the cheeses. Taste to correct seasonings, adding lots of black pepper (and some salt).
Place a sheet of filo in the oiled pan, letting the pastry edges climb up the sides. Brush lightly with oil, and add another sheet. Keep going until you have a pile of 8 oiled sheets. Add half the filling, spreading it to the edges, then repeat with 8 more sheets of oiled filo, followed by the remaining filling. Layer the rest of the filo over the filling, brushing oil in between. Oil the top, tuck in the edges, and bake uncovered for about 45 minutes or until golden and crispy. Cut into squares and serve hot or warm. {Note: After making this recipe several times, I think the best results were obtained when the pie was baked for 30 minutes COVERED and then an additional 5 minutes UNCOVERED. The filling was much creamier and the top was not quite as dark. I recommend doing it this way.}  
Follow Me on Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. Spanakopita is one of my favourite things! I love making a whole batch and keeping them in the freezer for lunches or picnics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I love spanakopita. It's the best! I just saw a Middle-Eastern version in a new cookbook I got...I will definitely be trying that in 2013!

      Delete
  2. Alissa, this really is the best one I've made. Moosewood knows Spanakopita! Happy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really is the best spanakopita out there, and it doesn't have dill- so many do have the dill and as far as I can recollect, tha herb should only be in tzatziki sauce served on the side. Thanks for posting this recipe! I'll be making it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it Valia. True about the dill :)

      Delete
  4. My sister and I still talk about Moosewood's Spanikopita. We also could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For another winning Moosewood recipe in the same book, go to Mushroom Moussaka (sp?) .... more Greek soulfood. I highly suggest you try it. Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Joan. I will be sure to check out the Mushroom Moussaka (I spell it that way too). Sounds delicious. Greek soulfood is the best! And it's hard to go wrong with Moosewood anything. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. I googled 'spanakopita' and your post came up. I was able to tell on the spot that it was very close to the authentic dish my mother-in-law made. I made it this past weekend and it was FABULOUS! DELICIOUS! I agree with Joan-- the mushroom moussaka recipe from Moosewood is equally worth of the Greek Gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Paulina. It looks like I'm about 4 months late in responding. Isn't this the greatest recipe. Thank you for suggesting the mushroom moussaka. I'm going to be making it for a post I am doing about the Greek Festival in Denver which takes place next month. Opa!

      Delete
  6. Thank You for posting, but it's not the original Mousewood recipe.

    ReplyDelete