Thursday, September 30, 2010

Polenta with Corn and Thyme

CSA corn
Well, summer is over and autumn has begun.  While most people mourn the end of summer, I fully embrace the end of hot, sticky weather.  My favorite season is fall.  I love the colors of turning leaves and I rejoice that the Yankees are once again in the post-season.  True, the chilly nights are a harbinger of things to come, but I also like the winter (I am a winter baby after all).
In the kitchen I start making heavier, richer soups and stews.  I tend to use lots of potatoes (fingerling, yams and sweet), legumes and fall squashes.  But there are a few 'hangers-on' from the previous season-- namely, corn.
This recipe combines fresh corn with polenta, which is an Italian name for ground cornmeal or maize.  You can add some rapini or porcini mushrooms to the polenta if you want to kick-it-up a notch.  Maybe even some blue cheese, if that's your thing.
Apparently this dish is popular in Austria as an early morning treat. I made it as a brunch side dish. Yum. Baby Otis gobbled it up!
Note: this recipe should *not* be made ahead of time. It needs to be served immediately.


Polenta with Corn and Thyme (Courtesy of Martha Stewart)
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of corn kernels (I used CSA corn, but you can use frozen if you don't have access to fresh corn)
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup of fine cornmeal (polenta)
1/4 cup of grated parmesan

Preparation
In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablesppon butter (I used salted) over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup of corn kernels and 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until corn is warmed through, about 1-2 minutes.  Add 1 cup whole milk and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.  Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup of fine cornmeal (polenta). Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and creamy, about 6 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/4 cup of grated parmesan. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper.  Serve immediately. 
Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. I just bought so organic rustic polenta from Anson Mills. Not like "corn meal" at all. It's got fiber in it and a stronger flavor. I am trying to eat better. I think I'll sauté garlic and onion first, add thyme and then mix it in to the water-cooked polenta. Then let it cool. Slice it or cube it and top it with roasted red peppers....or anything, I guess.

    ReplyDelete