Tuesday, August 18, 2015

at the denver botanic gardens: corpse flower + butterfield + everything else



Late this afternoon, upon hearing the corpse flower was beginning to bloom, I dropped everything and ran over to the Botanic Gardens. I mean that literally. I dropped my magazine on the floor and ran down the street, made a right turn, and headed in the direction of the garden’s main gate. The live stream had been running on my computer screen all day, but I wanted to see this in person. It’s not everyday you get to view an Amorphophallus titanium bloom! The event is a rare occurrence and annually only about 5-10 plants bloom in captivity worldwide. I’m not sure how frequently they bloom in nature, but the plant’s native habitat in Sumatra (Indonesia) is being destroyed at a record pace, so I’m sure blooms in the wild are down in number. 


This particular event will mark the first bloom in Denver and the Rocky Mountain states, which is pretty exciting if you live here and giant blooming plants are your thing. Oh, and the plant will release an odor (really, a stench) that smells like a rotting corpse for approximately 48 hours in order to attract its pollinators (the carrion beetle), so there’s that too…

Anyway, about 10 minutes after leaving my home I was standing in front of the giant plant (see below). It was so exciting, as I've been watching it grow in size over the past few weeks. But it became clear that the unraveling at the pinnacle had stopped and the grand finale would be saved for another evening. Not wanting to waste an opportunity to check out the garden's Deborah Butterfield exhibit in its entirety, I walked around in search of her beautiful cast bronze horse sculptures. They are installed throughout the gardens, posed in various positions and against a range of natural backdrops. And they are gorgeous!

I hope you enjoy these photos! I enjoyed taking them with my new camera, which was an early birthday gift from husband (about 5 months ahead of the really big day since my old camera just broke). I’m still trying to figure out all the bells and whistles, but I think I’m off to a good start!

xx,
B

Click here for a live stream of the corpse flower bloom at the DBG.
And here for additional information, courtesy of National Geographic.































 


Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. How can I instantly downgrade TurboTax online?

    To downgrade TurboTax online, you must first clear and start over. Now, you can simply uninstall the current TurboTax version. And then, you should uninstall the current TurboTax version. Now, you can install the latest version and open your control panel on your computer. Now, under the program tab, you must click on the ‘Uninstall a program link.’ Now, on the program and features window, you must select the installed TurboTax version that you wish to remove and downgrade to a new one. Now, you can click on the uninstall option, which is located at the top, and so you will be able to do it.

    How can I transfer money from a Prepaid Green Dot Card?

    There are millions of users of TurboTax, yet the users, from time to time, encounter technical problems, and so they put up questions like can I transfer money from TurboTax card to another card or transfer money from a Prepaid Green dot card? To find that, you are supposed to log in to Greendot.com and then navigate to Pay bills and people, and then select pay people, and then go to send money. Now, you must log in to your account using the Green dot app and then select payment and then send money. Now, you can enter the recipient's name, email address, or mobile phone number, memo, and the amount to send.

    How can I fix TurboTax error 190?

    TurboTax is a prominent and acknowledged name in the world of tax computing software. With advanced features, amazing services, and top-notch updates, it has created a huge buzz. However, it is a fact that the users, from time to time, keep on encountering technical snags when they try to login to TurboTax or error 190. To do it, you must select start a new return, and then go to your state taxes. Then download the states you need. Whether they might be a fee if you need more than one state or your version of TurboTax does not include free state download. You can close your TurboTax and then reopen it. Now, open the file that generated the error.

    ReplyDelete