Thursday, October 1, 2015

steamboat springs (the aspen show)


When I was growing up, my favorite tree was a Japanese Maple in my parents’ backyard. Every September the tree put on a show and its leaves would turn the most brilliant shade of red before they fell to the ground. Some people lament the end of summer and view fall as a harbinger of the cold winter to come. But I love the cycle of the seasons and see September and October as a time for renewal and introspection, which might not be such a coincidence since I grew up in a household that took Rosh HaShana and Yom Kippur (the Jewish New Year and Day of Atonement) very seriously.

In Denver, the day time temperatures have been really warm (maybe even a bit unseasonal) but the nights have already turned cool. It’s sit-on-the-porch-and-watch-the-stars-while-drinking-a-glass-of-red-wine sort of weather. And as much as I love fall in the city, it’s up in the mountains where the season really shines. Groves of Quaking Aspens have started to turn their bright yellow, gold and orange hues. The colonies look like streaks going down the mountain and lend a shock of color to an otherwise green pine backdrop… basically, it’s an arborist's dream.



Last weekend, while my husband was celebrating his 40th birthday out-of-town with a group of childhood friends (all of whom are reaching the milestone this year), I took the boys on what I hope will become an annual pilgrimage to Steamboat Springs. I’ve been feeling more intrepid, adventurous and confident as a mother, so I didn’t think twice about taking this solo-parenting vacation. Severe temper tantrums are becoming a thing of the past, which means my nerves are less shot and I’m better able to deal with minor behavior issues. On this trip, thankfully, there were none.

We hiked for hours around Fish Creek Falls, drove down the most bucolic country roads, soaked in the hot mineral springs at Strawberry Park ($10 adult/ $5 kids) and even dined out...

A friend of mine calls this phase—one where your children are no longer babies, no longer depend on you for every function and are able to keep their emotions in check—as being “out of the woods.” And I truly feel like we’ve overcome some of the hardest challenges of raising children for the past few years.

The trip to the mountains was restorative. 

I found myself thinking about the Japanese Maple tree in the yard of my childhood home, and within a few minutes of hiking through the Aspens, Otis turned to me and said, “I think we should plant a few of these in our front yard.” I totally agreed.

Wishing you wonderful autumn adventures,
xx, 
Batya

Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. How can I instantly downgrade TurboTax online?

    To downgrade TurboTax online, you must first clear and start over. Now, you can simply uninstall the current TurboTax version. And then, you should uninstall the current TurboTax version. Now, you can install the latest version and open your control panel on your computer. Now, under the program tab, you must click on the ‘Uninstall a program link.’ Now, on the program and features window, you must select the installed TurboTax version that you wish to remove and downgrade to a new one. Now, you can click on the uninstall option, which is located at the top, and so you will be able to do it.

    How can I transfer money from a Prepaid Green Dot Card?

    There are millions of users of TurboTax, yet the users, from time to time, encounter technical problems, and so they put up questions like can I transfer money from TurboTax card to another card or transfer money from a Prepaid Green dot card? To find that, you are supposed to log in to Greendot.com and then navigate to Pay bills and people, and then select pay people, and then go to send money. Now, you must log in to your account using the Green dot app and then select payment and then send money. Now, you can enter the recipient's name, email address, or mobile phone number, memo, and the amount to send.

    How can I fix TurboTax error 190?

    TurboTax is a prominent and acknowledged name in the world of tax computing software. With advanced features, amazing services, and top-notch updates, it has created a huge buzz. However, it is a fact that the users, from time to time, keep on encountering technical snags when they try to login to TurboTax or error 190. To do it, you must select start a new return, and then go to your state taxes. Then download the states you need. Whether they might be a fee if you need more than one state or your version of TurboTax does not include free state download. You can close your TurboTax and then reopen it. Now, open the file that generated the error.

    ReplyDelete