Tuesday, April 12, 2016

hawaii



About a decade ago Ayelet Waldman wrote “Motherlove” – a controversial essay that ignited a firestorm and outraged those in the parenting community. The piece (reprinted in the New York Times column “Modern Love”) explored the nature of intimate spousal relationships and set forth a simple premise, one that was hard for some to digest. Waldman wrote that her children were not the center of her world, that “they were satellites, beloved but tangential.” That was the controversial part. Though Waldman proclaimed her love for her four children, she said “if you focus all of your emotional passion on your children and you neglect the relationship that brought that family into existence... eventually, things can go really, really wrong.”


Now don’t worry, things aren’t dire on this end, but I have been thinking a lot about how to balance life’s demands, which include work, marriage and motherhood. I don’t agree with all of Waldman’s points (Otis and Theo, you’re not satellites to me!), but there are parts of her essay that resonated with me. I agree with the idea that marriages need nurturing, and in our fast-paced world, quality time can be elusive.
Raising children has lots of rewards, but it can also be exhausting. I love my boys dearly, but by the end of the day I’m spent and it seems like the only thing I have energy for is scrolling through Pinterest (or some other activity that doesn’t require a lot of brain power). Once I pick those little energized bunnies up from school there’s cooking to do, books to read, baths to take, lots of cleaning (I’m very particular), laundry to be folded, and I’ve got to identify and remove the foul and mysterious odors emanating from the car. By the time everything is done it’s about 10 p.m. and I’ve got very little gas left in the tank, no pun intended.



Look, this is part of the life I wanted and it’s what I signed up for. However, I have come to recognize the need to reorganize things a bit and shift priorities a little. I definitely need more quality time with my husband. It’s sometimes hard to carve out the hours needed to reconnect and remind us why we decided to couple in the first place. But where’s there’s a will, there’s a way!

With that in mind….




You can probably imagine how excited I was to be surprised by a childfree trip to Hawaii!!!  It came at a welcome time AND it coincided with my 40th birthday.

Matt worked hard to put the entire vacation together. He “cashed in” thousands of hotel points and miles, snagged rooms at fantastic hotels (relaxation!) and secured a coveted reservation for a cabin inside Halaekala’s crater (adventure!). He coordinated with his parents (who flew across the country) and they provided kid-coverage while we were gone. He arranged our free flights, including first class tickets for the trans-Pacific leg of our trip (unlimited mimosas!), and he did it all without my knowledge. Well, until I spotted a hotel reservation in my inbox. Whoops! (It happened because he used some of my miles too.)

So what can I say about our adventure?

It was spectacular. We relaxed and we connected. We found off-the-beaten-path spots and ate incredible food. I had a fabulous birthday dinner and we went whale watching. We drove the Road to Hana in a jeep (roof down!) and we drank our body weight in Tangelo juice.

But perhaps my favorite part of the trip was the three days we spent hiking inside Haleakala’s crater-- off the grid, without cell service, computers, or distractions. I couldn’t get over how quiet it was and at times we felt like we were the only ones there, though we did come across a couple of Nene birds and some Hawaiian cowboys (see below). We took in the beauty of Hawaii’s black sand dunes and pink volcanic cones. And we hiked out of the crater under the moonlight in order to catch sunrise peaking above the clouds, something on my bucket list which I had always wanted to do. The trip was restorative and adventurous. We felt intrepid and connected. Now I just have to figure out how to incorporate those things into our day-to-day, because one can’t live life on vacation J

Here’s to a well-balanced life!

xx,
Batya














Food:


Follow Me on Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. Batya, this is one of my favorite posts!!! What a GORGEOUS looking trip! Modern women certainly balance a lot...thank you for saying what I've been feeling! I've added this to my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Johanna! It was the perfect trip at the perfect time. I think we all need to reconnect daily and I've decided to have an "at home" date night once a week-- cooking together and chatting over dinner :) Feel free to reach out if you need any Hawaii recs :) xx

      Delete
  2. These words. These photos. THIS POST! Smiling from ear to ear.

    Here's to a well-balanced life, indeed. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the BEST!!! Thank you! What a trip! Hopefully we can get another one on the calendar for next year...cuz, MILES!
      I'm trying to be balanced. It's not easy :)
      Unrelated, I can't wait to try your Peanut Butter and Coconut Bites!
      Yummmmmers!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Very great quality post, i loved to read and very high quality pictures.
    Please visit my blog Characteristics of great teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Hương Lâm chuyên cung cấp bán máy photocopy và dịch vụ cho thuê máy photocopy giá rẻ, uy tín TP.HCM với dòng máy photocopy toshiba và dòng máy photocopy ricoh uy tín, giá rẻ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very happy to share this little awesome testimony about Dr AZIBA a great Herbal Doctor who helped me Enlarge my Penis size from .3.2 inch to 8.3 inch longer with his African Herbal Product mixture. my wife is so amazed with the autonomous size of my penis. if you are in need of help to enlarge your Penis to Bigger and Thicker size, I advice you to contact Dr Aziba on his Personal Email Address ( PRIESTAZIBASOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL COM ) or contact him on whatsapp Chat +2348100368288 his one of the best African Herbal doctor recommended to help you with the best and effective Herbal Product to enlarge your penis from as smaller as 2.2 inch to 9.2 inch within two weeks of use, Dr AZIBA is also specialized on the solution to LOW SPERM COUNT. i advise you to contact him for help. DR AZIBA whatsapp number +2348100368288..











    I'm very happy to share this little awesome testimony about Dr AZIBA a great Herbal Doctor who helped me Enlarge my Penis size from .3.2 inch to 8.3 inch longer with his African Herbal Product mixture. my wife is so amazed with the autonomous size of my penis. if you are in need of help to enlarge your Penis to Bigger and Thicker size, I advice you to contact Dr Aziba on his Personal Email Address ( PRIESTAZIBASOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL COM ) or contact him on whatsapp Chat +2348100368288 his one of the best African Herbal doctor recommended to help you with the best and effective Herbal Product to enlarge your penis from as smaller as 2.2 inch to 9.2 inch within two weeks of use, Dr AZIBA is also specialized on the solution to LOW SPERM COUNT. i advise you to contact him for help. DR AZIBA whatsapp number +2348100368288..


    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is my TurboTax not opening?

    Being an amazing and alluring tax-calculating software, TurboTax has acquired an exclusive position. However, this is a fact that the users do encounter technical problems whenever they try to proceed with account recovery TurboTax or not opening. Now, if it is not opening, then you are supposed to follow and apply a few important steps to resolve it. You must try to install it, and then check out the compatibility, and then insert the TurboTax installation CD into the optical drive of your computer. Now, you can locate the CD drive icon, and then you must right-click on it and then choose open and then locate the TurboTax setup file, and then you should click on it. Now you can select 'troubleshoot compatibility' from the menu.

    How can I install TurboTax on my computer?

    There are millions of users of TurboTax, and the users keep on facing issues when they try to install TurboTax on Mac without CD drive or computer. To install it on a computer, you are supposed to make sure that you insert the TurboTax cd into the CD drive on your computer. Now, hold down the Windows + R keys to open the run window. Now, you can simply select browse and then find the TurboTax CD on your CD/DVD/RW drive, which is usually driven by D. Now, you must double-click the setup.exe file to begin the installation. Once you do follow and apply the steps, you will be able to resolve and troubleshoot the issues without any fuss.

    How can I approve my TurboTax in advance?

    There is a long list of Tax calculating software, but the one that has grabbed everyone's attention is TurboTax. It has different versions like home, business, premiere and deluxe, and many others. Now, a lot of users also put-up questions like when does TurboTax advance start 2023 or approve it in advance. Now, to find out, one has to follow and execute a few steps. To qualify for a tax refund from Intuit, you are supposed to file your federal tax return via TurboTax that is by February 15, 2023. You must remember that you do meet the requirements, like a federal refund of $ 500 or more. And one must be at least 18 years old.

    How can I fix TurboTax won't open on Windows 10?

    There are many tax computing and calculating software, but the one that has grabbed everyone's attention is TurboTax. With different versions like basic, home, premiere, and deluxe, it has acquired a special position in the user's mind. Even though it is amazing, the users frequently encounter technical problems like TurboTax won't open Windows 10. Now, to fix such issues, one is supposed to follow and apply a few important steps firstly, you must verify that you do have all the administrator rights on your computer and TurboTax is running as an administrator box and then select ok. To apply these steps, you must follow the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was cured of herpes simplex virus his email ____________________________ I am so happy, He can restore broken marriage/relationship …R.buckler11@gmail……com……🥰🥰🥰

    -GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
    -HPV
    -DIABETES
    -WEAK ERECTION
    -VIRGINAL PROBLEM
    -WHOOPING COUGH
    – HEPATITIS A,B AND C
    -COLD SORE
    -LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION
    -LOW SPERM COUNT
    -STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS
    -STROKE
    -IMPOTENCE
    -PILE
    -HYPERTENSION
    -MENOPAUSE DISEASE
    -CANCER
    -SHINGLES
    -FIBROID
    -YEAST INFECTION
    -BARENESS/INFERTILITY….

    ReplyDelete